N.O.O.B.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A World at War - Level 5 Missions

Go down

A World at War - Level 5 Missions Empty A World at War - Level 5 Missions

Post by Anansi Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:41 am

This is just a continuation of my SPC Guide. This part tackles the Level 5 missions of the "A World at War" campaign.

Like the first guide, I included the links where we lost as losses can give insight on what you should or shouldn't do on a mission.

Again, I'd like to thank Omega Sanction for allowing me to use his account and YOU for reading this.

ORC ALLIANCE FORT
(Orc-Orc-Orc)

"Lord General," the messenger said. "I have word from the Light-Priestess. The Silvintri Forest is burning."

Pozak grunted and turned to the old scout next to him. "What do you think, Isidore?"

"The elves are fierce, Lord General, but few. They cannot hold the forest alone."

Pozak stared at the fort on the ridge ahead. "And yet if we go to assist them, we will have the orcs ahead of us and on our flank."

He shook his head. "Too dangerous. We will do them no good if we are decimated on our way to help. We will start our counterattack here, and help the elves when we can."

"I only hope I am not being too cautious."

MISSION: Destroy the orcish outpost.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Silvintri Archer (1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c6b46-8b98-4b98-9048-6724c0a80126

The opponent was able to setup. Luckily, we were able to turn the tides and win. One thing I've noticed in this link was our tech units (clerics, zappers, etc)
performed perfectly well, especially the Estian Cleric, preserving the Silvintri Mage and the Estian Wizard targeting the Red Tide Warrior that was about to kill the cleric the following turn.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The next set of missions are mostly made up of Undead. They are usually slow and specializes on softening enemy units (Sap/Disease) then dropping fatties mid or late game. Aggro decks usually fare well against them, especially cats and dogs (Shadow Panther/Estian Wardog). The key to better utilize the strength of these units is to set up a walling. This can be achieved by using low-deploy units with huge health to make a "meatwall" then finish up with dropping cats and dogs to eat away the enemy morale. Good choices for walling are Wall of Spears (probably the best), Silvintri Archers (against Infantry), Forest Crawlers, and the regular "Footmen." This tactic, however, can be easily countered by Blast, so if the enemy is using Blast units, it's better to think of another strategy. Still, if you feel you're extremely lucky, then by all means, go with this tactic.

SWAMP CREATURES
(Undead-Undead)

In the Silvintri Forest, another message was being delivered. The Light Priestess Enyi opened it to find an elaborate scroll within.

"We seem to have an invitation," she murmured. "But what could the Abtu-Kahn possibly want?"

Her aide paled. "You're not thinking of actually going?"

With a bitter smile, she said. "We have orcs rampaging through the forests, and the Lord General seems to be in no hurry to help us. The Light always shines on new possibilities, and perhaps this is one of them."

She spread out a map, though she hardly needed it. "The orcs have us cut off here, and here. Our best chance to reach the Abtu-Kahn citadel . . . is to go straight through the swamps."

MISSION: Brave the dangers of the swamps and reach the Abtu-Kahn citadel.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Silvintri Archer (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c6cd1-aa78-45f4-a5df-3416c0a8012d

The opponent runs Disease units plus Swamp Horrors as tanks/bombs - the usual theme used in the A World at War missions by the undead. This kind of setup is a bit hard to beat without a specialized deck if you're going with control (I haven't tested aggro here so I'm not exactly sure how they'll do). When facing Disease, it's better to run Retaliate units as damage from specials is not affected by Disease. Zappers are also good but since there are no more Zap units in the Novice Set, I decided to go with Chain Zap with Blasters instead.

SECOND SHOT:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c6eae-fab8-4a21-b229-7bd5c0a8012a

It's a good thing Disease only works once on a unit. I was a bit lucky here as one shot from a rat can render the wolverine harmless if the rat will attack first. Still, I was able to miracle-gro a wolverine to 9 attack with support from a cleric. The Boltmage did well too as it was able to soften the enemy rats.

THE CITADEL OF ABTU KHAN
(Undead-Undead)

Enyi's entourage walked through the hallways of the citadel. In the shadows, they heard the rattle of bone, and saw the cold blue pinpoints of spectral eyes.

A mummified figure sat on a throne in the Great Hall. "I am Natu," it said, "leader of the undying Abtu-Kahn. I believe we have a common interest."

Enyi asked, "You would help us throw back the orcs from our forests? That seems . . . generous of you."

Natu shook its head. "The prophecies say that the Forest will soon be destroyed. I offer you a choice: death at the hands of the orcs, or an eternal partnership with us."

"You mean slavery to the Abtu-Kahn," the elvish priestess said.

"It is that or utter destruction, Priestess. Which will you choose?"

"Neither!"

MISSION: Fight your way out of Natu's Citadel.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c709f-7c34-4ecf-adbf-53f6c0a8012f

I chose the same squads used on the previous mission. The battle went well as we were able to take control.

Anansi
Anansi

Back to top Go down

A World at War - Level 5 Missions Empty continuation..

Post by Anansi Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 am

THE UNDEAD RAVAGERS
(Undead-Undead-Undead)

"Priestess, the Abtu-Kahn pursuit is gaining on us."

Enyi nodded. "I see them, Gwyn. We'll make our stand on that hill, and hold out as long as we can."

There was a shout of trumpets ahead, and the priestess smiled. "It seems the Light is with us today," she said, "and that Lord General Pozak has finally arrived."

"Get ready to turn and attack!"

MISSION: Destroy the undead pursuit.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Silvintri Archer (1)(1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c71fc-7270-4724-a960-41d2c0a8012f

I thought we're was winning at first but then, the enemy was able to setup and all turned into a bloody one-sided match. The Silvintri Archer did nothing in the fight so I thought of pulling it out. I wanted to pull out the Venombows too as Disease screws with them a lot and with Omega Sanction's collection it's really hard to force myself not to use his prized CHGs, BDs and wagons to tear the enemy to shreds. Still, that would defeat the purpose of this guide so I decided to make do with the Novice cards that we have. I decided to go with the Silverback instead of the Silvintri Archer. I also made another squad composed of Block and Retaliate units and used that as a third squad.

SECOND SHOT:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Aanden Silverback (1)

Adamans Firehand
Aanglor Highguard (2)
Estian Skullcrusher (2)
Heavy Pikeman (1)
Estian Cleric (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c76e0-77f8-4066-b65e-0c9dc0a8012a

The opponent's squad overwhelmed ours in the midgame. Facing Regenerate 2 units without good Zappers is just hard. The Sap spell is the needle in the coffin as our puny units just sat there taking damage. I also noticed that the opponent is running only a few infantry units, though he runs some Giant Bats. Still, I thought of taking out the archers and tweak some more. I really wish we had more Wall of Spears here (funny Omega Sanction has 47 WoS's from the Basic Set). I took out the Estian Skullcrushers as they are just too easy to kill and the Heavy Pikeman (I used them because I thought they looked cool), and went with Aanglor Veterans instead.

THIRD TRY:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

Adamans Firehand
Aanglor Highguard (2)
Estian Skullcrusher (2)
Heavy Pikeman (1)
Estian Cleric (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c7aa9-0a38-43e0-8f3e-4e35c0a8012d

This mission is really getting on my nerves.. With the Novice card pool that we have, this is just impossible to beat. Still, I decided to tweak some more. The problem that I'm having with this is the Boltmage comes out too early and just dies early too. Zappers require a good walling to setup and that can be easily achieved by Wall of Spears and Estian Clerics from the Basic Set. Plus, Loremasters are far better support units considering their Deploy is just right and they can heal too. Hmm.. I shouldn't be ranting here but tweaking the deck.. :p

FOURTH AND FINAL (HOPEFULLY):
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Aanden Silverback (1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Warden (2)
Silvintri Boltmage (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c7d45-97d8-4858-8227-1daec0a8012a

Frustration is taking its toll as thoughts of quitting Warstorm entered my mind. I decided to give the mission one last try before going to bed and whipped up the fastest, hardest-hitting deck that I can do with the cards that we have.

Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wardog (1)
Estian Skullcrusher (2)
Aanglor Footman (2)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Archers
Poison Crawler

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Warden (2)
Shadow Panther (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c80df-c0c0-4a7b-b19a-3fc4c0a8012b

Wow! It worked.. Luckily, we were able to beat them before the blast priest could enter play. I think I focused too much on control and overlooked the aggro strategy that I've used before when doing my missions.

THE KEEPERS OF THE GATE
(Undead-Undead-Undead)

"Enyi, we can't win a war on two fronts."

"General, we may not have a choice. The Abtu-Kahn are building a new army, and we are squeezed between them and the orcs. The war has come to us, and we must be ready to strike."

Pozak shook his head. "What you ask is foolish," he said.

"Why are you always so cautious?" Enyi shouted. "What happened to the bold young hero I watched rising through the ranks?"

"He got tired of dead bodies and whispers."

Pozak stared into space, reliving old battles and calculating new ones. "The worst of it is," he said, "that you are probably right."

MISSION: Attack the Abtu-Kahn citadel before their army reaches its full strength.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wardog (1)
Estian Skullcrusher (2)
Aanglor Footman (1)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Archer (2)
Poison Crawler (4)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Warden (2)
Shadow Panther (3)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c821b-0d08-44da-abee-0ed2c0a80126

I don't think the aggro that I whipped up can stand against the damned ghosts.. Actually, I tried thrice..

Sicilis Stonefist
Estian Cleric (3)
Aanglor Veteran (3)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)
Aanden Silverback (1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Aanden Wolverine (2)
Shadow Panther (4)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c861f-8318-4220-9721-64f7c0a80130

This was somewhat a lucky win as the opponent had a terrible opening.

THE OUTER SANCTUM
(Undead-Undead-Undead-Undead)

"We beat them!" Gallis crowed with joy. "We're through the gate!"

"Don't get cocky," Isidore told him. As he spoke, hordes of zombies lurched through citadel's doorways into the courtyard.

"You see," the old scout said. "Now we're in for it."

MISSION: Defeat the defenders of the outer sanctum.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Skullcrusher (2)
1 Aanglor Bladesman (1)
Estian Wardogs (1)

Landen Hawkeye
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (2)Aanden Silverback (1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Warrior (1)
Shadow Panther (5)

Nalinai Poisonblade
Silvintri Archer (2)
Forest Crawler (4)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a557594-29ac-48ee-8aed-16b7c0a8012f

I went with a pseudo-rush this time as we lack cats, dogs, and low-cost units for another squad. This link shows a good example of walling plus cat drop.

THE INNER SANCTUM
(Undead-Undead-Undead)

Lightning bolts tore through the air. Gallis ducked under the clutching arms of a ghost and called out, "Just how many of these things are there?"

Isidore cut down one priest, then another, and was surprised by the rush of triumph and bloodlust in his heart. "Two fewer now!" he shouted.

MISSION: Fight your way through the inner sanctum and into the citadel.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Aanglor Pikeman (2)a
Aanglor Bladesman (1)
Estian Wardogs (1)

Blademaster Wilaren
Shadow Panther (6)

Nalinai Poisonblade
Silvintri Archer (2)
Forest Crawler (4)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a5578d8-576c-46d4-8175-6a9bc0a8012d

I used the cats and dog (We got only one wardog) in this mission. Luckily, we were able to setup a bit of walling for the cat/dog drop. Most of the undead missions can be finished this way and if ever you have the right cards for an aggro setup, I think it would be better to go with it than to force yourself to counter with a control deck. Of course, going with control is not impossible but with the Novice set, you won't have much options unless you have a lucky pull out of the packs.

There are other possible (and probably easier) ways to finish the missions mentioned here, so I'm not encouraging anyone to follow the decklists here by-the-book. As I've said earlier, this is just a guide on how you can build your deck to go against a mission.

From making this guide, I learned too that keeping your focus and staying calm can do wonders. There will be times when you'll be frustrated in a single mission and this ain't good as you won't be able to see the holes in your deck and just throw in waves and waves of challenges at the opponent. Perhaps this is the reason too why other new players decide to quit early on.

Well, this ends my guide for the level 5 missions. I'm still finishing the one for the level 6 missions, so please bear with me. I'd post it here once I'm done. I hope this helped. affraid
Anansi
Anansi

Back to top Go down