N.O.O.B.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A World at War - Level 4 Missions

Go down

A World at War - Level 4 Missions Empty A World at War - Level 4 Missions

Post by Anansi Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Well, this is a guide for A World at War level 4 missions. I have included the decklists that I used plus some personal notes. I posted the battle links here too. Just click on them to watch. Even the links where we lost too are posted as there are lots of things that can be learned from these losses.

The squads featured here are not 100% guaranteed to win against the mission. They are just used as a guide to give an idea on how a deck can be built. Luck is still a factor in this game and can easily change the outcome of battles. Another thing, if you decided to go copy the squads here and you lack some of the deck pieces, just improvise. Choose a unit that is close to what the replaced unit does.

Special thanks to Omega Sanction for lending me the keys to his car (yep, I BORROWED his WS account for this, and I really meant borrowed) and for NOT DOING his Single Player Missions for the sake of this guide, and to YOU for reading this guide.

THE BEASTSLAVER CAMP
(Orc-Orc)

NINE MONTHS AGO . . .

Isidore and Gallis stared down the hillside at the camp. "Are those orcs?" Gallis whispered.

The older scout nodded. "Looks like. But what are they doing this far out of the plains? They know better than that."

Gallis started down the hillside. "Let's see what they're up to!" Isidore could only shake his head. That young fool of an Estian was going to get them killed . . .

MISSION: Disrupt the Beastslaver Camp with two squads.

The Beastslaver's Camp is composed mostly of "gray beasts" (Deshir Wildcat and Crag Wolf) plus Redtide Beastslavers and Redtide Warriors (the former for their Whip ability, the latter as normal vanilla unit). The deck also packs an Enraged Yeti and a Deshir Drake as "bombs." Archers can do good here when they get matched up with infantry units while Retaliate units are good against the Yeti and whipped beasts.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Aanglor Veteran (2)
Estian Cleric (2)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Marksman (2)
Aanden Venombow (1)
Aanden Warden (2)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c5c16-6cac-44ef-a5c2-5483c0a8012b

An easy fight overall (well, it should be as this is the first "real" fight that you'll have).

MELGOR THE VICIOUS
(Orc-Orc)

The orc swung a meaty fist, and Gallis sprawled on the ground, blood dripping from his broken nose. "Spies!" the orc said. "Melgor knows how to deal with your kind."

Isidore crouched in the bushes, looking for an opportunity. Now would be a good time for the cavalry to arrive, he thought. I'd even settle for a hedge wizard on a donkey.

MISSION: Rescue the scouts with two squads.

Melgor's team is made up of Deshir Wildcats and Enraged Yetis (take note of the "s") to whip up, Red Tide Beastslavers as whippers, Redtide Brutes as vanilla units, and of course, Melgor, the mean, green whipping machine himself. The Enraged Yetis are scary as heck but the entire deck is quite slow and can be outrushed. Same strategy applies - archers for infantry and Retaliate as a countermeasure for yetis.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Aanglor Veteran (2)
Estian Cleric (2)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Marksman (2)
Aanden Venombow (1)
Aanden Warden (2)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c5d7e-75e0-42d4-b2b6-4c43c0a8012e

As said above, Melgor's squad is a bit slow and I was able to setup a good def before the yetis can enter play. Melgor's high deploy makes it for him to enter play early unless he gets drawn first.

ORC ALLIANCE CAMP
(Orc-Orc)

As the infantry sorted through the wreckage of the camp, Isidore looked up to see their leader standing over him. "Lord General Pozak!" he croaked, and tried to scramble to his feet.

Pozak held out a hand. "Easy, son." he said. "You've had a hard day. Tell me what you've seen."

"Orcs all over the Deshir hills," the scout told him. "They seem to be building up an army. We were on the trail to the their base camp when that raiding party captured us."

Pozak frowned. "We had heard rumors of drought out in the plainslands. If the orcs are here, then things are more serious than we thought. Show me this camp."

MISSION: Investigate and destroy the orcish camp.

In this mission, the same units from the latter missions (Red Tide Brutes/Warriors, Enraged Yetis, etc) team up with Gorfang Trollkin and other regenerating infantry units - Vistav Trollget and Captured Snow Troll. This can be a tough fight as there are two problem units - yetis and trolls. Vistav Shardbows can be a troublesome too to those who got mostly infantry units in their Novice packs. Slavedriver Gargurl also makes an appearance here and can be a game ender when he enters play.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Aanglor Veteran (2)
Estian Cleric (2)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Marksman (2)
Aanden Venombow (1)
Aanden Warden (2)
Silvintri Mage (1)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c5e90-71a8-4980-bba7-380ac0a8012e

This is pretty much one-sided as the opponent's deck boasts better units, plus the Aanden Wardens did nothing here but strengthened the opposing Yetis. As much as possible, refrain from using units with 1-attack here unless that unit is vital to the squad (i.e. clerics) as they can easily "miracle-gro" a yeti. Since the opponent is running more than 75% infantry with Yeti bombs, Archers mixed in with Retaliate would be a good choice here. Unfortunately, we only had two Wall of Spears from the Novice set so I decided to go with an Estian Wizard since damage from specials can't power up an enraged unit. Because the opponent runs Shardbows, infantry can be bad a bad idea. Still, the clerics and the wizard are 10 deploy, so there is a chance that they'd come out later and not be matched against Archers (a gamble as the Shardbows can oneshot them). I decided to go with the Wolverines too since beasts have no natural weaknesses (plus I want to see how they fare in matches). I took out the lone Silvintri Mage and went with another Marksman as the mage is just too fragile and Blast 1 can barely scratch Orcs because of their high health.

SECOND SHOT:

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (1)
Aanden Wolverine (2)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c6531-d290-4e7f-baa9-2840c0a80130

With 2 Estian Clerics in the starting line, things looked grim. Another horrifying loss. Still, I decided to give the deck another try. Losses due to bad draws cannot be avoided and tweaking a deck that lost due to a bad draw usually does more harm than good.

THIRD TRY:

*I used the same squads.

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c65e2-897c-4549-a622-4fefc0a8012e

Finally got them..

RED TIDE ATTACK
(Orc-Orc)

Even as General Pozak followed the trail of the orcs, the main assault was beginning. Heavyset soldiers crashed through the green Silvintri Forest, and the birdcalls were drowned out by the clang of steel.

A warden ran through the forest raising the alarm. Grovekeeper Dyrbral would find him later, his body riddled with arrows, still crying his warning with the last of his breath.

MISSION: Repel the orcish invaders.

This is an all-infantry deck, composed of Redtide Warriors and Brutes with Blackblades, led by Grymish the Mad. Chain Zap is EXCELLENT here.

SQUADS USED:
Sicilis Stonefist
Wall of Spears (2)
Estian Wizard (1)
Estian Cleric (3)

Blademaster Wilaren
Silvintri Marksman (3)
Aanden Venombow (1)
Aanden Wolverine (2)

BATTLE LINK:
http://www.warstorm.com/battle/view/4a4c673e-4c24-4a8f-a95a-04bac0a8012c

The battle link here shows how scary Chain Zap is when used against the right deck.

Well, this is the end of the guide for the level 4 missions. I don't think a guide is needed for these, but I decided to make one for those who are still having problems. I know that spoonfeeding new players is not good but some people become too frustrated with the missions and end up quitting (this can be good way to "filter out" the "good seeds from the bad," but I'm not really into scaring away newcomers).

This is just the first part. A guide for the other missions is currently on the works. I really wanted to make a single guide for the entire SPC but I don't think I can post it at once as I am busy with my personal life too, so I decided to work on each level then post them piece by piece. Again, thanks for reading and I hope this helped. affraid

Anansi
Anansi

Back to top Go down